Frequently Asked Questions
Click on a question to see the answer.
Registration & Transportation FAQs
How do I register?
You simply fill out the Online Registration Form and mail in a deposit of $150/person. Registrations are accepted strictly first come, first serve. Please see the Registration & Payments page
What is included in the fee?
All room & board is included. For Adults and Youngsters, all classes, concerts, dances, jams, and events are included. Guardians may attend all evening events but do not take daytime classes. An adult parent or guardian may attend daytime classes with children for supervisory purposes.
Are scholarships available?
Yes, please see the Scholarships page
Do you provide transportation from/to the airports?
Yes, there will be shuttles to/from camp and Denver International Airport. If you are flying into Denver International Airport (Airport code DEN), please book a flight that arrives no later than 2:00 PM Sunday, July 29. We will arrange a shuttle to the camp leaving at approximately 3:00 PM. There will be a shuttle from camp to the airport on Sunday, August 5, leaving at 8:30 AM. Please book a flight that departs no earlier than 1:00 PM on Sunday, July 30. The charge for the shuttle is $15 each way.
At Denver International Airport, after collecting your luggage, please gather at the South end of the main terminal, in front of a large window wall, near some Western murals. If you are in the mood, feel free to jam!
If you choose not to take our shuttle or cannot meet our time parameters, there is a commercial mountain shuttle, Home James Transportation.
Music Program FAQs
Who are the artists and instructors?
A comprehensive list can be found on the RMFC Artists 2018 page
Can I take more than one instrument? How do I decide what level of instruction I should take?
All classes are completely self-selected. There are five class periods during the day, and you may take as many as you wish in whatever instruments you have available. No one is expected to go to five classes; it is up to you to schedule practice time, rest time, etc.
Level of learning is also self-selected. If after the first day, you wish to move up or down a level, you are welcome to do so.
Here are some general guidelines for fiddle:
- Beginner – Less than one year of study. Brand new beginners are very welcome.
- Novice – Two to three years of study.
- Intermediate 1 and 2 and Advanced – More than three years of study.
In some cases, for instruments other than fiddle, it will be up to the instructor to decide whether to divide the classes into different levels if the class doesn’t have a level designated.
Do you have rental instruments available?
Yes, rental instruments are available for $50 for the week. To rent a fiddle, guitar, mandolin, or cello, you must schedule it in advance. There will be only enough for campers who have requested them prior to camp. Keyboards, basses, hammered dulcimers, and bodhrans, are generally available without fee to all (subject to class size). Simply note on your Registration Form or Email the Director what instrument(s) you want to rent.
What is the schedule for the week?
This is described completely on the Classes & Workshops page
Snow Mountain Ranch FAQs
What are the housing arrangements? Are private rooms available?
Silver Sage Lodge, reserved exclusively for RMFC, has very convenient hotel-style rooms with capacity for 6, each with a double bed and two sets of bunks (up and down) and full bathroom. All bedding and towels are provided.
The RMFC fee includes housing for 4 in a room (more if convenient or requested). If your party is less than 4, you will be sharing a room with a similarly configured party, selected for compatibility based on age and gender. If your party is 4 or more, you will have your own room. If your party is 5 or 6, you may want to register for the Group Discounts.
If you are a party of 3 or less, you may have a room to yourselves for an additional payment of $450 for the week. This can be requested on the registration form.
Can I arrive before the 4:00 PM check-in on Sunday, July 24?
Yes. Early Check-In. Many campers prefer to arrive prior to 4:00 PM Sunday. There is now an option to do so. If you would like to check in any time after 5:00 PM Saturday, July 28, (meaning Saturday night or anytime on Sunday), simply check the box on the registration form.
If you choose to do this, please note the following:
- The cost for Early Check-In is $55 for a party of one; $110 for a party of two or more.
- This will be your room for the rest of the week. Roommates may join you after check-in Sunday (unless you’ve booked a private room).
- You will be responsible for meals prior to dinner on Sunday. You can pay cash at the Dining Hall, or make other arrangements.
- No RMFC staff will be available to assist you prior to 4:00 PM Sunday. You are welcome to work directly with SMR to enjoy the many fun activities they offer.
Could you please describe Snow Mountain Ranch?
Snow Mountain Ranch is a large mountain resort owned and operated year round by YMCA of the Rockies. It is a modern facility with all amenities. It is best described in thorough detail at its website: Snow Mountain Ranch
How will RMFC use the Snow Mountain Ranch facilities?
RMFC will use essentially three areas (same as last year) found on this this map
Snow Mountain Ranch Buildings
- Housing will be in Silver Sage Lodge, Building 21, exclusively for RMFC.
- Meals will be served in Schlessman Commons, Building 20. Vegetarian and special diets are completely accommodated.
- Evening events will be held in the lower levels of buildings 2, 5, 19 and 26.
- Daytime classes will be held in each of these locations.
What should I bring to camp?
These are only suggestions. You may decide what you think you will need.
- Compact recording device, batteries and tapes to record demonstrations during workshops
- Clothes for 7 Days – There are limited laundry facilities
- Toiletries, Sunscreen, Earplugs
- Camera and/or VCR
- Insect Repellent, Sun Hat
- Hard and Soft Soled Shoes for Dancing
- Comfortable Walking Shoes
- Music Supplies – Strings, Rosin, Picks, etc.
- Music Stand
- Jacket or Sweatshirt for Cool Evenings
- Headphones for Silent Keyboard Practice
- Every instrument you can carry!
- Electronic Keyboard if you are a pianist and the keyboard is reasonably portable
- Ukulele for Jams
- Whatever supplies you need for your RV, tent or camper
Is there Wi-Fi internet and cell phone coverage?
Generally, there is internet Wi-Fi coverage everywhere. Cell phone coverage is spotty, depending on carrier. We’re told Verizon is best.
What is the emergency number at camp?
Emergency number at camp: The number is 970-887-2152, dial 0, answered 24 hours a day
May I bring my own tent, RV, or camper?
Yes. Important note: The Campground locations are specifically assigned and are a significant distance from RMFC activities. If you will not have a vehicle available to use every day, it is recommended that you stay in Silver Sage Lodge (unless you like long hikes). This map of Snow Mountain Ranch Trails will give you an idea. The campgrounds are Hopi, Iroquois, and possibly Geronimo.
Is alcohol allowed?
Snow Mountain Ranch allows alcohol in private rooms and meeting rooms. RMFC will not be serving any alcoholic beverages. Please do not consume any alcohol conspicuously.